Are Nee Doh Balls Toxic to Dogs?

NeeDoh balls, known for their soothing and stress-relieving properties, have gained popularity among both children and adults across the globe. However, concerns have been raised regarding the safety of these colorful globes, specifically in relation to dogs. It’s essential for pet owners to prioritize their furry friends' well-being and be cautious when introducing new toys into their environment. Therefore, understanding the potential toxicity of NeeDoh balls is crucial. Fortunately, these vibrant stress balls are far from poisonous. The groovy glob inside each NeeDoh ball is hypoallergenic, safe, and non-toxic, ensuring that there are no detrimental effects on your canine companion's health. Furthermore, these exciting toys are devoid of harmful substances such as BPA, phthalates, and latex, offering reassurance to pet owners that their little ones can play with NeeDoh balls without any health risks.

Is Play-Doh Toxic to Dogs?

Play-Doh, a popular modeling compound, is generally considered non-toxic, non-irritating, and non-allergenic. However, pet owners should exercise caution as it can be harmful to dogs if ingested in large amounts. The high salt content in Play-Doh poses a potential risk to our furry friends. While small amounts may not induce severe toxicity, excessive consumption can lead to salt toxicity.

The veterinarian will evaluate the situation and may recommend treatments such as intravenous fluids to restore electrolyte balance and support kidney function. Prompt intervention can help minimize potential complications and ensure the well-being of your pet.

To prevent any accidents, it’s advisable to keep Play-Doh and similar modeling compounds out of your dogs reach. Storing these items in closed containers or cabinets will help prevent curious pups from getting their paws on them. Additionally, consider supervising your dogs playtime to ensure they don’t accidentally consume any harmful substances.

When it comes to Play-Doh and clay, it’s important to note that they’re generally considered to be minimally toxic if ingested in small amounts. However, it’s worth mentioning that some varieties of Play-Doh may contain wheat, making it potentially harmful for children with wheat gluten allergies. Additionally, homemade clay or “slime” recipes sometimes utilize ingredients like Borax or boric acid, which can be toxic if swallowed.

Is Play-Doh Toxic if Ingested?

Play-Doh and clay, in general, are considered to be minimally toxic if ingested in small amounts. While it isn’t recommended for children to eat Play-Doh, accidental ingestion is often not harmful. However, it’s important to note that some types of Play-Doh and clay products may contain wheat. This is a concern for children who’ve wheat gluten sensitivity or allergies, as it could potentially trigger an allergic reaction.

In addition to the potential allergenicity of wheat, there are also homemade clay or “slime” recipes that incorporate ingredients such as Borax or boric acid. It’s worth noting that these substances can be toxic if swallowed. Borax, a common ingredient used to make slime, can cause digestive issues and even chemical burns if ingested in large quantities. Similarly, boric acid, although less commonly used, can also be toxic if consumed in significant amounts.

To prevent any potential harm, it’s crucial to keep an eye on children while they play with Play-Doh or clay, especially if they’ve a history of putting things in their mouths. Parents should ensure that their children don’t eat or ingest significant amounts of these substances. It may be helpful to establish guidelines and teach children about safe play practices, emphasizing the importance of not eating or tasting Play-Doh or clay.

Parents should opt for age-appropriate Play-Doh products and familiarize themselves with the ingredients. Additionally, it’s always best to consult with a healthcare professional if there are any concerns regarding potential allergies or if a child has ingested a significant amount of Play-Doh or clay.


In conclusion, it can be stated that NeeDoh balls aren’t toxic to dogs, and are in fact safe for both children and pets. This makes them a perfect choice for little fingers to play with, providing a fun and safe experience. So, there's no need to worry about the safety of NeeDoh balls when it comes to your furry friends or young children.

Scroll to Top