Is 80 10 10 Enough for Dogs? – Debunking the Raw Dog Food Ratio Myth

The concept of the 80:10:10 diet for dogs revolves around the notion of replicating the natural feeding pattern of canines in the wild. This dietary approach emphasizes the ratio of 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ meats, specifically 5% offal and 5% liver. This ratio reflects the proportions found in a prey animal if a dog were to consume it entirely. In this ideal scenario, the dog would receive the necessary nutrients, including vitamins and minerals, from the varied components of the prey. By adhering to the 80:10:10 diet, pet owners aim to provide a nutritionally balanced and species-appropriate diet for their furry companions.

What Is 80 10 10 Raw Dog Food Recipe?

The 80/10/10 ratio in raw dog food recipes is commonly referred to as the ideal balance for a canines nutritional needs. The concept behind this ratio is to mimic the natural prey diet of wild dogs, which primarily consists of the flesh, bones, and organs of prey animals. By replicating this natural diet, proponents of the 80/10/10 raw dog food recipe argue that it provides a more species-appropriate and nutritionally complete diet for dogs.

The 80% lean raw meat component of the recipe ensures that dogs receive an adequate amount of protein, which is essential for muscle development and overall health. The remaining 20% of the recipe is divided into 10% raw bones and 10% organs. The inclusion of raw bones provides dogs with essential minerals, calcium, and phosphorus for healthy teeth and bones. Organs such as liver and other excreting organs contribute to the overall nutritional profile, providing vital nutrients such as vitamin A, omega-3 fatty acids, and various trace minerals.

These include improved digestion, healthier skin and coat, increased energy levels, enhanced dental health, and a strengthened immune system. However, it’s important to note that the 80/10/10 ratio may not be suitable for all dogs. Some dogs may have specific dietary requirements or health conditions that necessitate a different ratio or additional supplementation.

They can provide guidance tailored to your dogs individual needs, considering factors such as age, breed, activity level, and any existing health conditions.

The Benefits of a Raw Dog Food Diet

A raw dog food diet refers to feeding dogs with unprocessed, natural ingredients such as raw meat, raw bones, and fresh fruits and vegetables. This type of diet offers several benefits for dogs. Firstly, it can improve their digestion as raw food contains natural enzymes that aid in breaking down nutrients. Secondly, a raw diet can promote healthier skin and coat, reducing issues like allergies and dryness. Thirdly, it supports healthier teeth and gums, as chewing raw bones can help remove plaque and tartar buildup. Additionally, feeding raw food can enhance energy levels, strengthen the immune system, and maintain a healthier weight for dogs.


By providing 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% offal and liver, dogs can obtain the necessary nutrients to maintain a balanced and healthy diet. Consulting with a veterinarian and closely monitoring the dog's health and well-being is crucial when implementing any new dietary regimen. Ultimately, the goal should be to provide a nutritionally complete and balanced diet for our canine companions, promoting their overall health and vitality.

Scroll to Top